I just can't figure this Kanji from an old newspaper out, I am guessing it is a printing style not used anymore.I was trying to go by the 3-character radical on the left but I can't find anything that includes the 2 strokes in the middle.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


That is 「派{は}」 meaning a "faction", "group", "school", etc.

  • Thank you! I didn't think that it could be an enclosure. Apr 22, 2018 at 1:10
  • That looks like a horrible font for a newspaper to use.. To my eyes anyway. 0_0 I was stumped. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:17
  • 1
    ^ 大正か昭和初期の新聞広告のフォントみたいですね。「懐映体」っていうんですかね tande.jp/lab/2012/09/1887
    – chocolate
    Apr 22, 2018 at 13:50
  • @strongfish91, it's not an enclosure character. The radical is the three-strokes version of , and the body of the character is 𠂢, originally derived as the mirror of . More at the Wiktionary entries for , , and 𠂢. Apr 23, 2018 at 21:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .