Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMgXlcgj8Y8&t=61s

I'm a Chilean-born Taiwanese, so I'm not sure if my ears are confusing things. Or maybe this is due different Japanese accents?

Or maybe the Japanese "d" is a blit "r" sounding?

Latin orthography can be confusing here. The consonant of the ら-row sounds somewhat like US-English 「better」. – droooze Apr 21 '18 at 8:24
  • @droooze Oh, so I was right. There's a slight "r" sound? – alex Apr 21 '18 at 8:27
    Look at it from the point of view of real phonology (e.g. via IPA) rather than romaji. 「ら」is transcribed as [ɾa̠], while US/Canadian English「better」is transcribed as [ˈbɛɾɚ].「ɾ」is the dental, alveolar, and post-alveolar flap. Describing it as an "r" sound means different things to different people who pronounce "r" differently (not withstanding that "r" sounds incredibly different depending on what word it is spelt with; seriously sound out all the "r"s in these comments and you'll see this). – droooze Apr 21 '18 at 8:35
  • Explicitly, if you associate the consonant in the だ-row as something like English "t/d", then you may further associate だ with an "r" sound because English "t/d" is associated with the consonant in the ら-row, which is transcribed in romaji as r-. – droooze Apr 21 '18 at 8:42

It's been pronounced "kudasai" and not "kurasai", focus and listen to it again.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.