Currently I am translating a kendo book from Japanese. While I understand the general meaning, I was having trouble translating this sentence:

こちらにとって、近い間合い、相手にとって遠い間合いになっている考えていい

What does kochira ni totte mean in this context?

• What is your best translation? – ajsmart Apr 16 '18 at 15:51
  • For this way, it can be thought to be beneficial (good) if your maai (distance) gets closer, while for the opponent's maai gets farther. That's the closest I got. – MKT Apr 16 '18 at 15:55
    Can you double-check your transcription? In particular, is it possible there's something missing before 考えていい? – snailcar Apr 16 '18 at 15:56
  • Yes. I should've put that. Thank you for reminding me. Here is the full sentence: 写真のように相手が重心を後ろに下げたことが確認できたら、こちらにとって、近い間合い、相手にとって遠い間合いになっている考えていい – MKT Apr 16 '18 at 15:59
  • Snailboat's question was prompted by a grammatical error -- ...になっている考えていい is not grammatical Japanese. At the bare minimum, there should be a particle between いる and 考えて. – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 16 '18 at 17:28

Your sentence needs と like 遠い間合いになっていると考えていい.

こちらにとって means 自分(自分達)にとって. However it implies "you" in this context because the author must write this sentence for the readers. I translate it as "You may think that it is close distance for you and far distance for your opponent".

• It's 「と」. My apologies. The book is a bit worn, so that part was missing. Thank you for the explanation. – MKT Apr 16 '18 at 18:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.