Though I think I've understood the gist of the following sentence, I struggle to interpret two of the used terms.

こんなに小さくちゃ一人じゃ生きていけないわよね。

This small (cat) mustn't live alone. (?)

1. What exactly does chisakucha mean? I've found smt online about verb+kucha ... ikenai being a structure to express must not in casual speech, but it was very vague (and this is an adjective).

2. Is the ja in 一人じゃ a variation for だ ? Or does it mean so/then (as in cause so/then effect)?

Thank you for any answers/explanations!

「こんなに小{ちい}さくちゃ一人{ひとり}じゃ生{い}きていけないわよね。」

「ちゃ」 is the informal/colloquial form of 「は」 and

「じゃ」 is the informal/colloquial form of 「は」.

Both are used frequently.

「I-adjective in 連用形{れんようけい} ("continuative form") + ては/ちゃ」

means:

"if (i-adjective)"

And

「Noun or Stem of na-adjective + では/じゃ」

means:

"if (noun/na-adjective)"

「小さく」 is the 連用形 of 「小さい」, so 「小さくちゃ」 means "if small" and

「一人じゃ」 naturally means "if alone" or "if all by oneself".

Thus, the sentence in question means:

"If (you are/he is/it is) small like this, (you/he/it) could not live alone, could (you/he/it)?"

You ask:

2.Is the ja in 一人じゃ a variation for だ ? Or does it mean so/then (as in cause so/then effect)?

「で」 in 「では」 indeed comes form 「だ」.

「じゃ」 used in the sentence in question is not the conjunction 「じゃ/では」 that you are asking about.

the first answer is very thorough, but also a bit information dense. To simplify the concepts l'electeur explained, I'd like to add a little. First, the most natural translation of this sentence would be:

"Such a tiny thing could never survive on its own."

as such, both the adjectival "kucha" and the "ja" represent "if" ideas: "if it's so small" and "if it's alone"

in a sense, both forms are similar in meaning, and could be replaced by the japanese word "nara" (though that would be horrible Japanese, the meaning would be the same):

Konna ni chisai nara, hitori nara ikite wa ikenai.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.