It is said that the と conditional must not be used where the main clause expresses any of the following: an intention, a suggestion, a command, an obligation, a request, etc. However, I've encountered と良いです a lot. E.g. すぐに薬を飲むと良いですよ。 Should this be considered grammatically wrong, but in fact readily acceptable in reality?

*Trivial: I'm trying to tackle this beast called conditionals in Japanese, and the fact that various sources I've read online seem to have contradictory explanations/definitions isn't helping. I've looked all over the Net.

I've encountered と良いだ/です a lot <-- 「良いです」はいいですけど、「良いだ」とは言いません。。。eg ◎「おいしいです」✖「おいしいだ」 – Chocolate Apr 14 '18 at 12:40
  • Yet another beginner blunder. I'll fix it right away. – Yeti Ape Apr 14 '18 at 13:24
  • Please ask one question per question. – snailboat Apr 14 '18 at 13:59
  • I did not wish to flood the forum with my questions, but I understand how it's considered poor practice. Won't happen again. – Yeti Ape Apr 14 '18 at 15:50

It's no problem as it is. While the whole sentence implies recommendation, the main clause 良い itself is not any of modal expressions you listed but a statement, literally, "if you take medicine immediately, that's good".

• Just to be on the safe side, do you mean that while it sounds like a suggestion in nature, grammar-wise it simply isn't? – Yeti Ape Apr 14 '18 at 13:28
  • When you see 良い alone, do you still find it a suggestion? – user4092 Apr 15 '18 at 1:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.