When I am paying for my goods at a supermarket or konbini, the cashier always asks me that question. On dictionaries, the meaning of 宜しい is "fine / good" and it made me confused, "What is good about the point card?"

Then I assumed that they actually asked me if I have a point card. I knew that I can just say はい and show the cashier my point card if I have one. Well, I do not own one so I usually respond 「カードがない 。」 but the cashier often seems confused after hearing my answer.

• I'd interpret it as something like "Everything is OK regarding your point card?" – wip Apr 14 '18 at 3:26
    @will Yes, it turns out that your interpretation is true. – mawgumelar Apr 14 '18 at 11:47

Japanese よい/いい/よろしい sometimes means "... is not necessary" or "fine without ..."

• コーヒーはいいです。 (Thank you but) I don't want coffee.
  • いや、いいです。 No thanks. / I don't need it. (e.g., to a salesperson)
  • その話はもういい。 That's enough!
  • 言い訳はよろしい。 Don't make excuses.

Therefore, "ポイントカードよろしいですか?" means something like "You don't want to use a point card, right?" or "Are you okay without a point card?" I believe the cashier said は, not が. ポイントカードよろしいですか would mean "Do you rather prefer a point card (over something else)?"

When you respond to it, はい or いいです means "I'm fine without it" or "I won't use one". (If はい worked in your case, I think the cashier guessed your intention from your gesture rather than your words.) If you want to use a point card, you can say いや, あります or 使います.

カードない is indeed very confusing because it sounds like "My card is missing!", i.e., you want to use a point card but just noticed you have lost it. Read this question for the reason. カードない at least works, although blunt.

• Ahh I see.. I have made silly mistakes then, lol. About は or が thing, I am not sure. But I think you are right: the cashier says は. Thanks for the amazing answer! – mawgumelar Apr 14 '18 at 11:42
  • How do I respond if I do have a card? 「良くないです」? – Sweeper Apr 15 '18 at 14:27
    @Sweeper 良くないです/宜しくないです ("I am not fine") actually works, but it sounds a bit accusatory/sarcastic. People usually say 使います or あります, as I said in my answer. – naruto Apr 15 '18 at 15:07

I agree with naruto. You can just say はい, いいです or 結構です. All of these mean "I don't need that."

Well, I do not own one so I usually respond 「カードがない 。」 but the cashier often seems confused after hearing my answer.

I guess that's because カードがない is ambiguous and I imagine the cashier thought "did he lose his card? Or he left it in his home? Or he simply doesn't own one?" A cashier is a routine work so it's no wonder they are used to はい, いいです, 結構です but カードがない. You are not wrong.

Yeah.. Today I used はい、いいです and the cashier was not confused anymore, lol. Thanks! – mawgumelar Apr 14 '18 at 11:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.