Both 和紙 and 日本紙 translate to Japanese paper so I'm wondering what is the usage of each?


日本紙 is just another name for 和紙 (also see the entries in a monolingual dictionary).

和紙 is a much more common word than 日本紙 — corpus data suggest a ratio of about 100:1 — not unlike beverage and drink in English (similar ratio, actually).

Talking of drinks, a similar question could be asked about 日本茶 and 緑茶.


There is no difference in meaning. 「和」 means 「日本」.

It is just that 「和紙{わし}」 is used more often than 「日本紙」 is. The former is a "household" word even children know and use whereas the latter sounds more "technical" and slightly stiff to me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.