Good day, I read in a Japanese textbook the following sentence:

ものの歴史と良さについてどこに書いてあるか探しながら読む

The meaning is clear "search whether it's written [by somebody] somewhere about merit and history of a thing and read it". But there are ながら-form is using, what means that one at the same time is searching and reading what he/she is supposed to find, how can it be?

search whether it's written somewhere.. <- 「 どこに書いてあるか探す」わけですから。。(「どこに書いてあるか…」じゃなくて。) "I read, trying to find where it's written..." とかじゃないですかね。。 – Chocolate Apr 9 '18 at 23:08
  • Oh, I really translate it wrong, now I see the difference. Thank You – Vitaly Apr 10 '18 at 6:11

This ながら-form itself is a very basic example of ながら meaning "while" or "as". 探しながら読む means "to read while searching ~" or "to read while trying to find ~".

Apparently you have failed to parse the sentence correctly. ものの歴史と良さについてどこに書いてあるか (an embedded question) is the object of only 探す. The object of 読む is not directly mentioned in this sentence, but it's clearly some book or article. Basically this person is reading some long text and trying to locate the exact page where this topic is discussed.

ものの歴史と良さについてどこに書いてあるか探しながら読む。
[I] read (the book) (while) trying to find (the page) where the history and the merit of things are written.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.