I'm a complete beginner in Japanese. I was trying to analyze this sentence here, but I'm not sure at all about the correct translation.

韓国たのしみすぎって話!

How would you translate this? "Talk that Korea is too much fun!" ?

話 is the verb, why is it not conjugated?

Should I interpret って as indirect speech particle, or colloquial topic marker?

Why たのし instead of 楽しい?

みすぎ means "too much", should I view this as a noun?

Here's a hint: You're parsing it wrong. It is (韓国)(たのしみ(すぎ))(って話). – istrasci Apr 4 '18 at 19:17
  • if you provide a bit of context I may be able to help. Is this a reply to a question or something like that? – Felipe Oliveira Apr 4 '18 at 20:13
  • @istrasci ignoring (って話) for a moment, maybe something like "enjoy Korea too much" ? I need help with って話, maybe って is quotative? – vap Apr 4 '18 at 21:12
  • @FelipeOliveira Sorry this was a one-setence post I saw some time ago on social media, don't have context really. – vap Apr 4 '18 at 21:13
  • 楽しみ in this sentence means "is going to be fun", "can't wait", etc. 韓国が楽しみです means "I'm looking forward to (visiting) Korea".
  • すぎ literally means "too much", but in this context it's a bit slangy way of saying "soooo", "super", etc.
  • This って is a colloquial equivalent of という. I think you have gotten this right.
  • ~って話だ or ~という話だ in this context is an exclamatory expression used to emphasize your feeling. Semantically it's like "you know (what)". See: Meaning of どんだけお人好しなんですかって話ですよね

So the whole sentence just means "You know what, I'm soooo excited about (visiting) Korea!"

• Thanks! Looks like I was at least able to get the gist of it in my answer below:) – vap Apr 5 '18 at 1:38

After some research I am (sort of) confident that たのしみ = 楽しみ should be translated with "looking forward to". Translating すぎ as "too (much)" we get

"too (much) looking forward to" as in "very much looking forward to"

All in all, I am picturing a situation where a group of people is waiting for their flight to Korea and they're talking about how much they're excited for the trip.

Talk(ing) about so looking forward to (visiting) Korea!

Correct, って is a semi-colloquial connector if you will. In Japanese って is used in place of と nowadays in a colloquial way. と and って are used to refer/accent the action that follows. For example, 勉強しろって言われた - I was told to study. The って in this case refers to the 言われた - was told. Normally the professional way of saying that would be 勉強しろと言われました but among friends or family people usually revert to 勉強しろって言われた.

I don't know if that helps but here's hoping lol

I think that って here means という rather than と. Your examples have the verb 言われる, but the OP's example has the noun 話. – snailboat Apr 5 '18 at 0:57
  • My mistake, という would be what it's replacing. But either a verb or noun, the って being a colloquial conjunctive particle (or dependency marker) referring to the action/topic of the sentence would still stand no? – Josh Apr 5 '18 at 1:23
    the って being a colloquial conjunctive particle... -- The って is a 格助詞(case particle), not a 接続助詞(conjunctive particle). The case particle って has two meanings: ①引用を表す/quotative (≂と), ②同格を表す/appositive (≂という). (sources: 明鏡国語辞典 and デジタル大辞泉) Your post explains #1, but the って in the OP is #2. – Chocolate Apr 5 '18 at 1:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.