What I'm trying to say is "what time is it in Japan right now?". My main problem is if I placed 今 correctly and if I should use に or は?

• に doesn't function as a locative marker (but で) because attribution is not a "static action" (which is a confusing term, I think). – user4092 Apr 3 '18 at 22:01

Most commonly and naturally, it should be:

「今日本{いまにほん}何時{なんじ}ですか。」

You located 「今」 correctly, but used the wrong particle 「に」. A comma after the 「今」 is optional.

Also common would be:

「日本は今何時ですか。」

Finally, you can only start a sentence with 「今日本」 when it is followed by a verb describing a stative action as in:

・「今日本います。」 ("I am in Japan now.")

・「今日本住{す}んでいます」 ("I live in Japan now.")

How about 「で」, one would ask. 「で」 can be used when it is followed by an "active" (as opposed to "stative") verb. You can say:

・「今日本大学{だいがく}に行{い}っています。」 ("I am attending college in Japan now.")

・「今日本プログラミングの勉強{べんきょう}をしています。」 ("I am studying computer programming in Japan now.")

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.