Can someone assist me with understanding the below?

「最後まで参加したい気持ちはわかるが、無理はしない方がいい」

「身体を動かすことになるんだから。そんな様子では……」

「心配のし過ぎだ」

「今は寝起きだから。情けないことに、昨日の疲れがまだ残っているのかもしれない」

「朝食を食べれば、すぐに元通りになるさ。さあ、早く寮に戻ろう」

「……わかった」

「だが、様子を見るだけだ。体調が変だと思ったら、正直に言って欲しい」

「わかった」

I don't quite follow what is meant by 様子を見るだけだ in this context. I know of the expression 様子を見る e.g.

https://thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/%E6%A7%98%E5%AD%90%E3%82%92%E8%A6%8B%E3%82%8B

but I don't quite follow how だけ is modifying this expression in this case as it doesn't make sense to me do be "only" or "just" doing that.

"様子を見る" generally means things like "see how things are", "size up the situation", "test the water", "check the condition (of someone/something) "etc.

Seeing as Person A isn't exactly in tip-top condition but is set to participate in some kind of physical activity, and Person B, worried about them, says: "だが、様子を見るだけだ。体調が変だと思ったら、正直に言って欲しい", I think by "様子を見るだけだ" they are telling Person A that it'll be just a "test run", to see how fit they are to play, so please don't go all out, will you? -- or something along those lines -- adding that if they are feeling off, they need to tell them. (My, that's a lot of third person plural pronouns.)

There's nothing unusual about this instance of だけ. Just another day at the office for it, imposing limits on people and things.

I reduced you third person plural pronouns by one ;) – user3856370 Apr 1 '18 at 8:53
  • @user3856370 Ooh thanks! I was trying out my Free Indirect Style but apparently it was poorly executed. – goldbrick Apr 1 '18 at 9:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.