I was thinking of giving an answer to this question, but then I remembered that my Japanese is rubbish.

I was going to give an example:

ケーキはあまり食べない

Then I started having doubts about whether this would mean "I don't often eat cake" or "I don't eat much cake", i.e. "When I eat cake, I only eat a small slice".

Without context, can the sentence have both of these interpretations?

• Please try to avoid writing answers in the comments section. – snailcar Mar 31 '18 at 16:42

Yes. We judge it by context as you knew. If you want to make sure that you mean "I only eat a small slice", you can say "ケーキは少ししか食べない".

I interpret ケーキはあまり食べない as "I don't often eat cake", because I feel it says "one's preference" or "custom".

For example, あまり旅行しない would mean "I don't often go on a trip.", 今日はあまり酒を飲まなかった would mean "I didn't drink much today" rather than "I didn't often drink today".

• I'm having trouble understanding because I feel it says "one's favor". Could you explain what you mean by this part? – snailcar Mar 31 '18 at 16:45
  • I interpret it as "I don't habitually eat cake because I don't like it very", not "transient quantity", because present tense can mean "habit". – Yuuichi Tam Mar 31 '18 at 17:14
    one's favor 「好み」ってことですかね? one's preference とか。。。 – Chocolate Apr 1 '18 at 7:32
  • Yes, I chose a wrong word. Thank you for teaching. – Yuuichi Tam Apr 1 '18 at 8:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.