I'm going over the entry for のだ in my grammar dictionary, and I pretty much understand the meaning, but I'm unsure about casual question forms:

• んだ (male) / の (female)    んだい? (male) / の? (female)

Two examples:

「今行くの?」(f)

「今行くんだい?」(m)

The female form I am okay with. But I have never heard だい before, and I remember being told that it's very uncommon. I think males might simply say

「今行くんだ?」

Am I correct? But I've read that this can sound too interrogative or accusatory if the intonation is not right, so how would I say it properly?

Finally, I've seen のか, what is the difference? Is it feminine?

What is so feminine about 「の」? – l'électeur Mar 28 '18 at 23:18
  • I'm not entirely sure. This is what is said in my grammar dictionary. – nehry Mar 28 '18 at 23:38
    @nehry The grammar book likely said that explanatory の sounds feminine, while questioning の is gender-neutral. – kroki Mar 28 '18 at 23:46
  • 「今行くんだい?」 <-- It's weird.. Is the example from your book?・・ You might say 「行くんだい!」(childlike, tokyo/edo dialect) "I'm going!"... or 「行くのかい?」, 「 どこに行くんだい? (an interrogative + だい?)」とか・・ – Chocolate Mar 29 '18 at 0:31
  • @kroki so I can't say 「今行くんだ?」but 「今行くの?」is ok? The grammar book did say that both explanatory の and question の is feminine, but in another entry it said that question の is used by both females and males. – nehry Mar 29 '18 at 0:37

"今行くんだい?" looks highly unnatural to me regardless of gender/situation. Sentence-end だい in questions appear mainly by a male person in fiction and always with an interrogative, e.g., "何故だい?" or "誰だい?" (This い is a sentence-end particle. You can say "行くか?", "行くのか?" and "誰だ?" but usually not "行くだ?" nor "誰か?" in conversations, right?)

"今行くんだ?" is a natural and casual way of saying "(Oh,) you're going now?" with a surprise. It's not particularly masculine in real-world conversations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.