I encountered the te-form before a noun in the lyrics below:

見つめあなたの表情 (Staring at your expression)
隠して明星ギャラクティカ (Hide the Morning Star Galactica)
そのときめいた気持ちが未知だって
手探りでいいから

(full lyrics available here)

I'm not sure if the 隠して is:

a. modifying the noun after it (hiding)

b. a request (hide)

c. modifying the noun 表情 from the previous line (Morning Star Galactica, hiding your expression)

I'm leaning towards b or c, because I've never seen gerund form modify a noun like that before. Help is appreciated -- thanks.

• Technically, C would not be "modifying" the noun from the previous line, it would be taking the noun as an argument. – snailboat Mar 28 '18 at 21:47

In general, te-form does not directly modify the following noun like an ordinary relative clause. If you did find "te-form + noun" in lyrics, patterns I often see are:

1. The noun is a vocative expression
    • 教えて先生 (≒先生、教えて!)
    • 助けて神様 (≒神様、助けて!)
  2. The noun modifies the verb (as an object or an adverbial expression) rather than the verb modifying the noun. Hyperbaton.
  3. The noun appears totally independent from the verb. The "sentence" ends with the te-form.

So, we have to examine the context carefully to determine whether 明星ギャラクティカ is a subject or an object of 隠して. In your case, I feel this 隠して明星ギャラクティカ is pattern 1 or 3 above. "Morning Galactica, hide your face/expression!"

Reasons:

• In this context, 表情を隠して makes more sense than 明星を隠して, because the following line is "even if your feeling is unknown...".

• There is a similar pattern in this song, which I think is easier to understand:

見つめあなたの表情/照らして明星ギャラクティカ
    見上げたあなたの 瞳が 宇宙が/キラキラって光る

Obviously the star is lighting the face, not the other way around.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.