I've run into the expression 嗜み quite often lately, mostly in the form of "XXXの嗜み", like 大人の嗜み or メイドの嗜み

Googling around, I think I understand that it means something along the lines of "what you should know as XXX", but I'm not quite sure I get all the nuances of the word.

Could someone explain to me the scope of 嗜み and in what situation I might use the word?

嗜み means two different things:

1. hobby; enjoyment as an amateur
  2. what you should know to be a refined X; basic knowledge/experience for X

So 大人の嗜み can refer to either:

• hobbies only adults can enjoy (e.g., wine and cigarette. See this article for example)
  • what you should know/have as a mature adult (See this article for example)

メイドの嗜み almost certainly refers to "what you should be able to do as a maid" because "hobby (only) for maids" doesn't make much sense to me.

The verb version, 嗜む, also means two things, "to casually enjoy something as a hobby" and "to have the basic knowledge/experience on something".

嗜む/嗜み is an elegant word that is typically used with uncommon "upper-class" activities like 乗馬, テニス, チェス, ピアノ and 生け花. Saying アニメを嗜む is not wrong but may sound a little funny.

• finny って? ----- – Chocolate Mar 28 '18 at 2:13
  • @Chocolate 「魚のヒレ状」だそうです。…なおしましたすみません – naruto Mar 28 '18 at 2:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.