Take the sentence 「私は老人でもそんなことまだできるよ」. At first glance, I would translate this as "Even if I were an old person, I could still do those things", implying that I am not yet old.

But could I not also translate it as "Even though I am an old person, I can still do those things", implying that I am old? And if so, in this case I could replace it with のに or けれど etc., correct?

Another example: 「雨が降っても行く」 means "Even if it rains, I will go". If I changed it to 「雨が降っても行った」, does this now mean "Even though it rained, I went"?

If you're still young, this sentence should be 私老人でもそんなことできるよ because 私 is not the topic of the sentence.

If you're actually already old, usually you have to say 私は老人だけどそんなことまだできるよ.

Actually, でも is sometimes used to make a contrast between two things or facts, like けど or "even though". Here are examples taken from 明鏡国語辞典 第二版:

• 表面は穏やかでも、内心は分からない。
    ≒ 表面は穏やかだけど、内心は分からない。
    (Even though he looks calm superficially...)
  • 昔は貧乏でも、今は裕福だ。
    ≒ 昔は貧乏だったけど、今は裕福だ。
    (Even though I was poor in the past...)

However this pattern is not directly applicable to your sentence. These sentences compare 表面 vs 内面, or 昔 vs 今, using two は. 私は老人でもそんなこと(は)できる sounds unnatural to me because you cannot directly compare 私 and そんなこと. Something like "年齢は70歳でも肉体は50歳だから、そんなことはまだできる" would be fine.

ても in 雨が降っても行った is plain "if". The sentence means "Even if it had rained, I would have gone (anyway)." This implies it did not rain in reality.

• I'm still a little unclear on this. What should the translation of the OP's original sentence be? It's also not clear to me why in one of the OP's translations 私 can be the topic, but in the other, it cannot. Thanks. – user3856370 Mar 27 '18 at 15:39
    @user3856370 1) OP's original sentence is not a natural sentence in the first place. 2) 私が老人でも ("even if I were an old man") is a subordinate clause in a complex sentence, which means the topic marker is not appropriate. On the other hand, 私は老人だけど is one of the two independent clauses of a compound sentence. – naruto Mar 27 '18 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.