I was wondering how could someone express the idea of "Bias for action", especially in the sense of it being a specific character trait for someone.

Here is a succinct description of what I mean with "Bias for action" from defmacro.org:

• Bias for action – in daily life many important decisions are easily reversible. It's not enough to have information – it's crucial to move quickly and recover if you were wrong, than to deliberately indefinitely.

Idiom: One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
    Idiom: The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
    Note: The best people do this naturally, without brooding, and with a light touch.

My Calligraphy teacher (who is Japanese) suggested "即決即断" (which is close enough, and has also the nice benefit of being expressed using Kanji alone, which is a plus for me) but I wonder if there is any alternative that may be even more appropriate.

1 Answer 1

即断即決 is probably not wrong, but I think the following proverbs/idioms/catchphrases directly describe this concept (unfortunately none is kanji-only):

• 案ずるより産むが易し
    (literally) It's easier to bear a child than to worry about it.
  • やればわかる
    If you do it, you understand it.
  • やってから悩め / やってから考えろ / 考える前に(まず)行動せよ
    Worry/Think after doing it.; Act before thinking.
  • 頭より手を動かせ

To describe someone's trait, you can say 即断即決型の人, 考える前に行動する人, 実践派の人, etc. 行動派の人 should work too when it's contrasted with 慎重派の人/理論派の人.

• 考える前に行動する人 strikes me as being negative compared to the other ones... or is it neutral? Mar 26, 2018 at 18:46
  • @DariusJahandarie Yes it can be negative, but not necessarily so. 何も考えずに行動する人 would be clearly negative :)
    – naruto
    Mar 27, 2018 at 2:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .