I was wondering how could someone express the idea of "Bias for action", especially in the sense of it being a specific character trait for someone.

Here is a succinct description of what I mean with "Bias for action" from defmacro.org:

• Bias for action – in daily life many important decisions are easily reversible. It's not enough to have information – it's crucial to move quickly and recover if you were wrong, than to deliberately indefinitely.

Idiom: One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
    Idiom: The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
    Note: The best people do this naturally, without brooding, and with a light touch.

My Calligraphy teacher (who is Japanese) suggested "即決即断" (which is close enough, and has also the nice benefit of being expressed using Kanji alone, which is a plus for me) but I wonder if there is any alternative that may be even more appropriate.

即断即決 is probably not wrong, but I think the following proverbs/idioms/catchphrases directly describe this concept (unfortunately none is kanji-only):

• 案ずるより産むが易し
    (literally) It's easier to bear a child than to worry about it.
  • やればわかる
    If you do it, you understand it.
  • やってから悩め / やってから考えろ / 考える前に(まず)行動せよ
    Worry/Think after doing it.; Act before thinking.
  • 頭より手を動かせ

To describe someone's trait, you can say 即断即決型の人, 考える前に行動する人, 実践派の人, etc. 行動派の人 should work too when it's contrasted with 慎重派の人/理論派の人.

• 考える前に行動する人 strikes me as being negative compared to the other ones... or is it neutral? – Darius Jahandarie Mar 26 '18 at 18:46
  • @DariusJahandarie Yes it can be negative, but not necessarily so. 何も考えずに行動する人 would be clearly negative :) – naruto Mar 27 '18 at 2:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.