How do you pronounce "つづく"?

[tsɯ̥dzɯkɯ] or [tsɯdzɯkɯ] or [tsɯzɯkɯ]

Any comment are welcomed, as long as you know how to use IPA to transcribe human speech.

---3/23 night---

Wiktionary: [t͡sɨᵝzɨᵝkɯ̟ᵝ] I personally believe this one is possible since the pronunciation of t͡s and z is more front while k is back. The vowels are affected as a result.

ja.forvo.com/word/続く/#ja: all examples in this site gives pronunciation that omit none of the three "u" in "tsuduku".

[tsɯ̥dzɯkɯ̥] or [tsdzɯk]: This one is interesting. I also agree that pronunciative change may happen in a fast and continuous speech.

アクセント核がない、無声子音に挟まれている、という場合の /i/ /u/ が弱化・無声化する、というのは基本的な規則です。(Can I interpret it as the rule of dictionary pronunciation? I mean, when the speaker pronounce つづく isolatedly or no in a fast speecha, and hence the standard pronunciation.)

"How do I pronounce X" is almost always a very difficult question to ask, because pronunciation is often dependent on the context of the word and (more importantly) the dialect used. You're looking for the dictionary form which is referenced here, so I'll assume that the correct pronunciation is the correct IPA for what these speakers are saying.

Pitch accent: つづく{LHH}
Speakers 1, 3, & 4: t͡sɯzɯkɯ
Speaker 2: t͡sɯᵝzɯᵝkɯᵝ

I know IPA isn't an exact science, but the second speaker definitely used a more rounded close back vowel, but never went fully into the "u" sound.

Based on this set at least, I'd put the correct pronunciation as "t͡sɯzɯkɯ" for the dictionary form. A waveform analysis of the files might find evidence for a "d͡z" sound somewhere in there, but I can't personally hear any of them using that.

Wiktionary's entry has [[t͡sɨᵝzɨᵝkɯ̟ᵝ]], but that seems to show devoicing on the final vowel, which is incorrect. I'm also not sure I totally agree with the use of [[ɨᵝ]] as the first two vowels.

• I don't think I make labiality on /u/ that follows /s/ or /ts/ either... – broccoli forest Mar 23 at 2:15
    This answers how it's not pronounced, but it doesn't really address how it is pronounced. An answer should address the question directly. – snailboat Mar 23 at 2:54
  • @snailplane Though, you could also interpret this as a partial answer which specifies the IPA for most of the word and just leaves two parts ambiguous, so it is still valuable in that respect IMO. (While full answers are ofc better than partial answers, they aren’t required, right?) – Darius Jahandarie Mar 23 at 5:43
  • @snailplane -- At the time I answered, the poster seemed to be asking purely for IPA. This was the entirety of the question post (newlines rendered as \n since they're stripped from comments): "IPA for the pronunciation of つづく How do you pronounce "つづく"? \n \n [tsɯ̥dzɯkɯ] or [tsɯdzɯkɯ] or [tsɯzɯkɯ]" – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 23 at 17:36

How do you pronounce "つづく"?

ts not "tsu つ" in うつす(写す/移す)

dzu neither "dz" in roads nor "zu ず" in すずり(硯) or すずむし(鈴虫)

k not "ku く" in くにする(苦にする)

So, I pronounce it as "tsdzuk".

IPAは素人なので回答できないんですけど、少なくとも2音目の「づ」で舌と歯茎をくっつける発音をする人、ほぼいないと思うんですが…発音しにくくないですか? – naruto Mar 23 at 6:32
    I pronounce it as "tsdzuk" <-- でも、ここ → ja.forvo.com/word/続く/#ja を聞きますと、4人とも「つ」「づ」「く」を3つとも有声音で発音してますけど…。最初の「つ」の母音の /u/ って、無声子音に挟まれていない(後に有声子音の /dz/ が続いてますし)から、無声化(母音弱化)しませんよね。。。 – Chocolate Mar 23 at 6:32
    ^ naruto 現代の日本語話者で 「ず」「づ」や「じ」「ぢ」を区別して発音してる人なんていない…と言われてますよね… – Chocolate Mar 23 at 6:39
    九州あたりでまだ区別が残ってる地域があるっぽいですね。標準語では、ごく自然に発音した場合、基本的には「すずむし」の「ず」と同じで良いんだと思います(ゆっくり発音するとか、意識してしまうと破裂音に近くなるかも) – naruto Mar 23 at 6:44
    「停電が続いています」とか言ったら最後の「す」が母音弱化・無声化しますが、「つ」は無声化しないですね。そもそも無声子音に挟まれていませんので。(アクセント核がない、無声子音に挟まれている、という場合の /i/ /u/ が弱化・無声化する、という基本的な規則のはご存知ですよね?)アクセント核がないので「づ」より弱くはなりますけど、母音弱化・無声化とは違うものですよ。「都築」の「つ」はアクセント核があるし、無声子音に挟まれてもいないので無声化しません。 – Chocolate Mar 23 at 6:58

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.