These are the ones I find acceptable to express the sentence but none of which actually translates to having "taken" the class. Not 'been' or 'studied' at, but 'taken'. I don't think 取る works as a direct translation right?

So which of these are correct and which translate the best to having taken a class. If possible, please give me examples that have nuances between having taken a class, but did not finish the full class/course/schedule versus having taken let's say a full year's worth of the class. Would there be any difference in your sentence (without explicitly making a second sentence to mention that fact)?

日本語授業を取ることがあった。
日本語授業に行くことがあった。
日本語授業で勉強することがあった。
日本語授業コースを完成しました。

I deleted my answer because it had a number of issues, as pointed out in the comments on it. I would check out this other question though japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/18629/… – BraveFoot Mar 23 '18 at 19:13
    This isn't what you're asking, but I figured you'd like to know that to say "I've done X", it's, e.g., 取ったことがある, not 取ることがあった. – mamster Mar 24 '18 at 0:26
  • Thank you Bravefoot, that was a useful reference! Thank you mamster that was minor point-out but it's very helpful to take note of these subtleties. – shoryuu Mar 24 '18 at 18:21

I've asked a native speaker before and been told 受ける is a good verb to use (as opposed to 取る). So for an example:

僕はその授業を受けたことがあります。

Also, there is the verb 受講 which means to attend or participate in a class or lecture.

僕はその授業を受講したことがあります。

I think that if you say sentences like this, it sounds like you have finished the course.

I know you asked without using a second sentence, but I would use wording like this if you want to express you didn't finish a course.

その授業を一時期受けていたのですが、途中でやめました。

If you want to express just dropping in for a single day, you could say something like:

その授業を一日だけ受けたことがあります。

• 取る is actually commonly used synonymously to 受ける though they have different semantic focuses in literal meaning (see @BraveFoot's comment above). – broccoli forest Mar 24 '18 at 4:08
  • Thank you! Very detailed and I can see the differences if I wish to express them differently. 受講 is also a new word to add to my vocab. Also never knew both 取る and 受ける were usable but had subtle differences. Learnt a lot! – shoryuu Mar 24 '18 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.