In a manga, before the start of a boxing match, one of the boxers looks at his friends in the audience and says:

シャキ〜ン

Then they reply more or less in the same way:

しゃっきい〜ん

What is the meaning of this expression? Is it an onomatopoeic word used to support someone? Since the match has a special prize of one million yen for the winner, could it be 謝金? Here you can see the page where it is taken from. Thank you for your help!

You can hear a lot of シャキーン sounds in this video. – naruto Mar 22 '18 at 18:39

It is an onomatopoeia originally mimics the sound some metallic material makes when it swiftly extends, like the way the joint makes when a folding knife springs out. But it is also used to express (comically) that someone feels at 100% condition or full of spirit.

It's often uttered with striking certain poses. See here.

enter image description here

• So it is similar to "頑張れ!"? – Marco Mar 22 '18 at 2:48
    @Marco Mmm... it's usually what they say by themselves rather than others say to them. In your situation, supporters seem just echoing the word, but I don't know much about the plot. – broccoli forest Mar 22 '18 at 2:53

「シャキ~ン」 is an onomatopoeia expressing one's feeling when bracing oneself up just before or at the start of an important event. Round 1 is just starting here so, that is how he feels.

「しゃっきい〜ん」 said by that girl would be a pun-like joke. 「借金{しゃっきん}」 means "debt(s)".

I do not see how 「謝金{しゃきん}」 ("renumeration") would be uttered here. It is a much bigger (and less often used) word than 「借金」.

I haven't read this manga, but I doubt an elementary school girl would be making a pun on 借金... – Jesse Good Mar 22 '18 at 3:41
    「借金」って本当ですか? この登場人物が借金持ちという設定は見つけられませんでしたが、仮に借金持ちだとしても、この無垢な顔の子供が相手の「シャキーン」に対して「お前の場合はシャキーンやなくて借金やろー」とツッコミを入れている可能性は限りなく低いと思いますが。 – naruto Mar 22 '18 at 5:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.