Does it translate to " he doesn't mind being called that" ? Edit: 言われた means to be said, 自体 means itself and the context is about a person that gets called by a certain nick name so I'm not sure if i should understand it as "he doesnt care being told/called that "or " he doesn't care about the nick name on itself "

• We're not providing translations or proofreading so I voted to close your question. However, if you explain why you think 言われたこと自体は気にしてないけど translates to he doesn't mind being called that or point out what is bothering you in the sentence then I will retract my vote. – 永劫回帰 Mar 22 '18 at 0:24

Under "normal" circumstances, native speakers would not use 「言{い}われたこと」 to refer to being addressed with a nickname. We would use 「(そう)呼{よ}ばれたこと」.

If, however, someone addressed you with a completely new nickname that no one has ever addressed you with, you might use 「言われたこと」, then.

Most naturally, though, I would still say that upon hearing/reading 「言われたこと自体は気にしてない」, we would think that someone told you something (instead of just addressing you with a nickname) but that you are not bothered by it.

In short, you would not even talk about being bothered or not being bothered for being called by your nickname that "everyone" calls you by all the time, would you?

Thus, without further context or a more detailed background story, this is all I can say.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.