I know that usually, when you talk about someone dying, you say, 'なくなりました' to be polite and, '死にました' to literally just say they died.

So, I was wondering if you could use 死にました for things other than people, such as for animals or plants as なくなりました would probably sound a bit strange?

• Actually shouldn't it be いなくなりました, as one would be using 居るinstead of 有る when talking about a human? – Chewie Mar 21 '18 at 12:15
    @Chewie, the verb is 亡くなる, which is an inflection of 亡い which means dead. It is related to the word 無い "nonexistent", but it's its own word. – bcloutier Mar 21 '18 at 12:17

So, long story short is that you can say that, but it may sound a little unnatural.

The post above references using なくなる, but it does give relevant answers to your question:

For plants: 「枯れる」 - "to wither", for animals: 「死んでしまう」 - "to die/pass away", for people: 「死んでしまう/亡くなる」 - "to die/pass away".

• The OP's question wasn't about whether you could use 亡くなる but rather about whether you could use 死ぬ for things other than people. – kandyman Mar 21 '18 at 12:37
  • It was, wasn't it? Let me fix that... – bcloutier Mar 21 '18 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.