Below is from a children's book that I am reading and I am confused as to the way の was used in the sentence.

あれは 亀が吹いて いるのに違いない

I would appreciate any inputs/infos regarding this.

Thank you in advance

Dan

This の is a nominalizer. It turns the clause, 亀が吹いている, into a noun. It's the same の as in 彼が来るを知っている ("I know that he will come").

(noun/na-adj) + に違いない is "It must be ~" or "I am sure ~". This is a fixed pattern to memorize. For example, 嘘に違いない means "It must be a lie."

So 亀が吹いているのに違いない means "It must be that a turtle is blowing it." or "I'm sure a turtle is blowing it."

EDIT: More specifically, this の is explanatory-の described here (technically I believe it's still a nominalizer). Actually you can also directly connect a verb and ~に違いない, e.g., 彼は来るに違いない ("I am sure he will come.").

• Thank you so much for naruto for the explanation. I really appreciate the help. – Danilo T Abrogar Jr. Mar 28 '18 at 11:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.