I saw an ad for Indeed today that had a couple tag lines with an あれ at the end, and I don't understand their use:

求人募集【きゅうじんぼしゅう】にサーチあれ。

仕事【しごと】、バイトさがしにサーチあれ。

Normally I'd assume that あれ would be something like して, since サーチ is a n-する verb, but that's obviously not the case here. I know あれ has several meanings, but usually it just means "that". Are these sentences saying "That with which jobs are searched," or is this a separate meaning or colloquialism I'm not familiar with?

シャレやね・・「~に[幸]{さち}あれ」の・・・ – Chocolate Mar 18 '18 at 4:35
  • そうですね、それは意味をなす :) – bcloutier Mar 18 '18 at 4:41

That is a pun and one would need to be very fluent in Japanese to even notice it is a pun.

First of all, 「あれ」 is the imperative form of 「ある」; therefore, it is a verb. In case someone is wondering, this 「あれ」 has no relation to the 「あれ」("that") as in 「これ/それ/あれ/どれ」.

In fact, the two 「あれ's」 are even pronounced quite differently -- 「あれ{HL}」 for the verb and 「あれ{LH}」 for the demonstrative pronoun.

「Noun + あれ」 means "Let there be (noun)!"

One of the nouns that are most often used in the expression above is 「幸{さち}」 ("happiness"). So, for instance, 「君{きみ}に幸あれ!」 means "Wish you happiness!", "Much happiness to you!", etc. To the newly weds, we often say 「お二人に幸あれ」.

Now, 「サーチ」, as in searching on the internet, sounds sort of like 「幸{さち}」, which makes this pun work. You are turning the common phrase 「幸あれ」 into an advertisement catch copy 「サーチあれ」.

"Let there be Search for recruiting staff!" ← 「求人募集にサーチあれ。」

"Let there be Search for job-hunting!" ← 「仕事、バイトさがしにサーチあれ。」

(This is the advertisement for a job search service.)

• 今、その利口なシャレが分かります。ありがとうございます。 – bcloutier Mar 18 '18 at 4:47
  • Even more so, it’s turning the entire phrase 「Xにさ[あ]ちあれ」into a pun—instead of 君, the サーチ is wished upon 求人募集 in the same way that happiness is wished upon you. (Edit: Oh, you were adding this into your answer as I was commenting.) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Mar 18 '18 at 12:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.