I'm having trouble understanding precisely what the functions of「だと」and 「なと」are in this sentence:「おもちゃだといいなと思う」. I did some searching here and on the web, and I think the 「と」in「と思う」is the "quote marker" function. I'm not sure why「な」interposes「いい」and 「と」, though. I'm also not sure whether that is the case for 「だと」. If so, I assume the「だ」there would be the copula. Would that mean this sentence has two quotes in it? I think I get the gist of the sentence, I just don't fully understand the grammar.

Thanks in advance. This site is really helpful.

The second と is what you've correctly identified as the quotative と. Xと思う means "I think X".

な is the sentence ending particle, which has a sort of wistful wishfulness meaning. いいなと思う is similar in meaning to "it'd be nice... I think."

The first と is the conditional と. To attach a noun to it, you must use a copula (i.e. だ), so it becomes おもちゃだ + と + いいなと思う, which altogether means "If it's a toy, that'd be nice, I think."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.