first english is not my mothertongue, so if i make mistakes, correction are welcome. i'm reading an adult light novel and have some problem translating and understanding precisely two sentences. First i will give the whole paragraph for context:

自分の身体すらも認識することのできない、心地良い浮遊感。まるでゆりかごに揺られるかのように、ゆっくり、 その意識は傾いては元の位置へと戻る。奇妙な感覚ではあったが、 それは決して不快ではなかった。すでに記憶にはない、母の胎内というのはこんな感覚なのだろうか、とぼんやりとした思考が生まれて、そして流れていく。

The first phrase i don't understand is this sentence:

まるでゆりかごに揺られるかのように、ゆっくりと、 その意識は傾いては元の位置へと戻る

It's not that i don't understand the vocabulary,i understand it very well. It's about the two particles i marked in bold, と and へと, especially へと which giving me trouble in understanding the phrase and translating it precisely in my head.

The second i cannot translate it in my head at all, i don't know if it's because i got troubled with that other phrase but i really cannot understand the phrase. It's the phrase which I put in bold above:

すでに記憶にはない、母の胎内というのはこんな感覚なのだろうか、とぼんやりとした思考が生まれて、そして流れていく

Why are there two は particles in the phrase? Can someone help me please?

1. と after ゆっくり is "the optional と". This is a FAQ.
  2. と after 元の位置へ is explained in this question.
  3. すでに記憶にはない is a relative clause that modifies 母の胎内. "The internal of Mother's uterus, about which I no longer have memory." The first は is は used with negative clauses. 「すでに記憶にはない、母の胎内というのはこんな感覚なのだろうか」 is the content of his 思考.
  • Thank you very much naruto, this will help me to understand the text better, thank you very much again. – Laz22434 Mar 15 '18 at 20:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.