In a manga about boxing, the protagonist is going to fight an american boxer. His trainer is telling him how he should train:

白人はんは"拳"を鍛えてるだろうがお前は"足"だ。

I don't understand what "…はんは" is. Is it a contraction of "はのは"? If so, what is its meaning? Here is the page where it is taken from. Thank you for your help!

What is the name of the manga? Is it リクドウ 7? Does the trainer routinely refer to people as 「はん」instead of 「さん」? – BJCUAI Mar 14 '18 at 18:35
  • Yes it's リクドウ 7. The trainer doesn't usually refer to people neither with 「はん」nor with 「さん」. He is quite a rude character. Is 「はん」a colloquial version of 「さん」? – Marco Mar 14 '18 at 19:33
    It is dialectical. Mainly around western Japan (Osaka, Kyoto). – BJCUAI Mar 14 '18 at 20:06

はん is an uncommon dialectal name suffix similar to さん. It's widely known as a Kyoto-ben word. I may be stereotyped, but はん is typically used by maiko/geisha.

The person who said this is not a Kyoto-ben speaker, right? Then I think he used it as a mild joke. はん has a old-fashioned/pre-modern overtone (Kyoto was an ancient capital of Japan), so using はん can imply the American opponent is more advanced.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.