I can't seem to wrap my head around the form verb-て+いたい

Is it a conjugation of verb-て+いる, or is it its own form?

And how is it different from verb-たい ? It seems to be translated the same.

Some examples:

食べていたい vs 食べたい 
愛を信じていたい vs 愛を信じたい 
壊さないでいたい vs 壊したくない 
はなれないでいたい vs はなれたくない 
勉強していたい vs 勉強したい

~ていたい is the combination of ~ている and ~たい ("want to ~"). ~ている describes the continuation of an action ("is doing") and the continuation of a state ("has done").

So 見たい is "want to watch", whereas 見ていたい is "want to be watching." Typically ~ていたい is used when you have already started something and want to continue what you are doing.

• テレビを見たい。
    I want to watch TV.
  • もっとテレビを見ていたい。
    I want to keep watching TV. / I want to watch TV more.

The difference between 壊さないでいたい and 壊したくない is somewhat obscure, but the former basically says you want to keep the current "not-broken" status.

Sometimes ~ていたい can also describe the continuation of state until some time point in the future. Using a typical instant state-change verb 結婚する ("to get married"):

• 5年後に結婚していたい。
    I want to be married within five years. (literally "I want to have gotten married in five years" i.e., I want to be in the 'married' state in five years)
  • 5年後に結婚したい。
    I want to marry after 5 years from now. (i.e., I don't want to marry for the time being)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.