I need some help to figure out how can I translate そんなだから.
It must quite vague because it seems to lack a noun after そんな (such as 時、本、etc.). If it had such nouns I could understand it like "at this kind of time, "this kind of book"). If I were to adapt it a little, would "It's for this reason." I think literally would be "That's why".
The action of this manga is that it's about saving someone from a villain. The ones going against this villain is a group of friends, they are fighting with all they got in order to save their captured friend.
そんなだから-That's why/This is our reason (for fighting), (to save our friend).
I hope you can understand...I don't know if I explained it so well.

According to a dictionary, そんな/こんな is a na-adjective (形容動詞). It usually works attributively (i.e., directly modifies the following noun) and means "such" (そんな人 = "such a person"). It sometimes works predicatively and means "(... is) like this/that".

• 毎日こんなだ。
    Things are like this every day.
  • へえ、もう彼はそんなですか。
    Oh, is he already like that?
  • 君がそんなだと我々は勝てない。
    If you're like that, we won't be able to win.

This こんな/そんな refers to what's mentioned in the previous context or what's in front of the speaker/listener.

Therefore, そんなだから naturally means "Because it's like that", "Because you're like that", etc.

• Thank you! Now it's more clear to me. Had a little struggle because I didn't have a noun like I mentioned and it seemed a little vague, but I kinda understood at least that it's about something related to the previous context. Thanks again for explaining! – Alice B. Rabbit Mar 14 '18 at 22:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.