I came across the phrase which I wrote in the title while reading a manga and I don't get it very well. At first I thought it was actually 言い訳 and the author didn't want to use kanji but after reading a few examples when I searched sentences, it's actually 良いわけない, so it would roughly translate as "That's no good"? Let me give a little bit of the context.
It's about two teenage boys and they have magic powers. Let's call them A and B. Each boy can summon a magical weapon. A is a better magic user and can wield his weapon very well while B is less trained, but at least he can summon his weapon. B asks A to train him.
*B summons/takes out his magical weapon and A says the following:

これ実家で保管してるやつでしょ?持ち出しちゃってよかったの? (Is he saying "This the thing that is kept in your family, right? Isn't great that you can bring it out?")

I know it's a very rough translation...And now B replies with:

いいわけないだろ。早く使い方教えろよ。

So, I get the last part ("Hurry up and teach me how to use it!'), but the first one, I feel like he wanted to say "this isn't good" or even 'good enough'. It's just this small part that I need to know to understand something in regards to their powers.
Can someone help me out, please?

So glad you have provided enough context. Look carefully the two parts in bold below because 「いい」 responds to 「よかった」.

A: 「これ実家{じっか}で保管{ほかん}してるやつでしょ?持{も}ち出{だ}しちゃってよかったの?」

B: 「いいわけないだろ。早{はや}く使{つか}い方教{かたおし}えろよ。」

Understanding A's last sentence would be the prerequisite to understanding B's first.

In 「いいわけないだろう」, 「わけ」 means "reason", "grounds", etc. You use this phrase when responding negatively (and firmly) to a statement or question that talks about whether something is good or not. Please remember that we use this phrase very often.

Thus, 「いいわけない」 means 「持ち出していいわけない」 here.

Literally,

A: "This is the one that's kept at your parents' place, isn't it? Was it OK to take it out?"

B: "There is no good reason (for doing that). Hurry up and tell me how to use it!"

To translate B's first sentence more naturally, I would use:

"Definitely not!", "No way!", "Impossible!", etc.

• Now it makes more sense! I clearly misunderstood it. Thank you very much, it was a great help! – Alice B. Rabbit Mar 14 '18 at 11:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.