I'm not sure I completely understand the usage of ちょっと前に in this context:

​一年ちょっと前に結婚しました.

Does this mean:

• "I got married around a year ago" (implies more or less than a year)
  • "I got married a little over a year ago" (implies unspecified short amount of time MORE than exactly 1 year ago)
  • "I got married roughly a little over year ago" (implies uncertain time MORE than exactly one year ago)

My original intention was to say: "I got married a little over a year ago."

Can someone explain to me which is the most accurate translation, and then how to properly express the other two options?

Thank you!

1年ちょっと前 means "a little over a year ago", i.e., approx. 13–14 months ago. This expression is unspecific, but the speaker is not uncertain. If you are uncertain, you can say "1年ちょっとだか1年半だか前", "1年かそのくらい前", etc. 1年と少し前 is a more formal equivalent. 1年ちょい前 is more casual.

You don't have to use it with 前. Examples using similar expressions:

• I'm trying to understand the literal meanings of 1年ちょっとだか1年半だか前" and "1年かそのくらい前". first example: how is "だか" being used? Does it mean like "1 year OR 1 year and half ago"? Second example: How are you using "かそのくらい" is "ka" a doubting particle? is "その" meaning "that"? "くらい" is "length of"? Soo... something like "(lit.) 1 year maybe that length of time before"? If you can, let me know the breakdown for those last two.. Thank you! Very helpful! – Cmaxster Mar 13 '18 at 19:12
  • @Cmaxster だか is "the copula だ" followed by "the question marker か". AだかBだか forms a noun clause meaning "A or maybe B" (ex. 彼の息子だか娘だかが来た; 5人だか6人だかの集団). ~かそのくらい is "or so" or "or something like that". その is "that (in this case 1年)", くらい is "degree". – naruto Mar 14 '18 at 3:57

EDIT: I was confused and answered wrongly. I apologize for this.

「一年ちょっと前に」 means "a little over a year ago"

To tell "around a year ago", we say "一年くらい前に".

To tell "A little over a year ago", we say "一年とちょっと前に" or "一年ちょっと前に".

To tell "Roughly a little over a year ago", we say "一年とちょっとくらいに".

So to tell "I got married a little over a year ago.", we say "一年とちょっと前に結婚した".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.