Does is contain any romantic implications? I’ve heard it can be used as a love confession or marriage proposal of some sort, but is that true? And is that a common phrase?

Thanks!

All by itself without context, 「私{わたし}でよければ」 does not contain romantic implications. How could it? In fact, when I read your question, I murmured to myself 「私でよければ回答{かいとう}しましょうか・・」, roughly meaning "If it's OK with you, I would post an answer."

「私でよければ」 simply means "If it is OK (with you), I ~~"

Even in a romantic context, 「私でよければ」 all by itself does not really mean much. It is not a complete sentence in the first place. You might use it in complete sentences such as:

「私でよければ付{つ}き合{あ}ってください。」 ("If it is OK wih you, please date me.")

「(こんな)私でよければ結婚{けっこん}してください。」 ("If you find me acceptable, please marry me.")

「私でよければ」 is an extremely common phrase in all kinds of situations. It makes you sound humble and not pushy/aggressive/impolite, etc.

| improve this answer | |
    Thank you so much. But I also should have posted the remaining half of the sentence “...いつでもご一緒しますよ” for better context. Because on paper/literally, the sentence doesn’t really scream romantic implications to me. However, some people have told me that it reads unambiguously romantic, and I don’t know if I was truly subtext-blind to not have realized it. Hence why I ask here. – larhm Mar 11 '18 at 5:17
  • Uhmmm... p-please answer my second question? @l'électeur – larhm Mar 11 '18 at 14:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.