i'm getting confused with the で particle in this sentence. This line belongs to Keno.

The complete line is: こんなに単純で当たり前なことが 本当は、一番見失いがちだからね.

• Do you have anything to show an attempt at reconciling it's meaning or have you tried to translate it? – BJCUAI Mar 10 '18 at 1:01
  • 'It's these natural and obvious things that get lost first' – Chrollo Mar 10 '18 at 2:52

「こんなに単純{たんじゅん}当{あ}たり前{まえ}ことが 本当{ほんとう}は、一番{いちばん}見失{みうしな}いがちだからね。」

First, notice (if you have not) that two na-adjectives are used to modify 「こと」 in this sentence -- 「単純な」 and 「当たり前な」 to use their dictionary forms.

To connect multiple adjectives or verbs in one clause, all except the last one must be conjugated into their 連用形{れんようけい} ("continuative form"). Thus it is incorrect to say:

「単純当たり前こと」 using 「な」 twice

You need to turn the first adjective 「単純」 into its 連用形. Its 連用形 is 「単純」. Voilà, that is the answer. The correct phrase is:

「単純当たり前こと」

Finally, here is how na-adjective 「単純な」 conjugates.

未然形{みぜんけい} (imperfective form): 単純だろ(う)

連用形{れんようけい} (continuative form): 単純だっ(た)、単純(ある/ない) and 単純

終止形{しゅうしけい} (predicative form): 単純

連体形{れんたいけい} (attributive form): 単純

仮定形{かていけい} (hypothetical form): 単純なら

(Unlike with verbs, there is no 命令形{めいれいけい} (imperative form) for adjectives.)

So, the sentence means:

"Things that are this simple and ordinary are actually the things that we most tend to lose sight of."

It was on purpose that I have written a much longer answer than I should have because I keep seeing questions regarding adjective and verb conjugations asked when the questioners themselves do not even seem to be aware that they are conjugation questions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.