This is probably an easy question, but I can't find a clear satisfying answer to it after looking it up so I figured I'd ask here.

自分がどんな人であるか知ってもらいたい

1) Why can を act on a particle? I understand のか, なんか as they are compound words which can be treated as nouns, i.e direct objects by を (or so I believe), but why here?

Is it simply omitting the の because it's obvious (のかを)→(かを), and if not what's the difference between のか and か in that sentence?

「自分{じぶん}がどんな人{ひと}であるか知{し}ってもらいたい。」 ("I want you/them/people, etc. to know what kind of person I am.")

This is a completely grammatical and natural-sounding sentence, including the use of 「を」.

Why can を act on a particle? I understand のか, なんか as they are compound words which can be treated as nouns, i.e direct objects by を (or so I believe), but why here?

The 「を」 does not act only on the particle 「か」 here. It is acting on the whole preceding phrase 「自分がどんな人であるか」, which is a noun phrase. 「noun phrase + を + 知る」 is perfectly correct. It does not have to be a simple single-word noun that immediately precededs the 「を」.

「どんな人である」 means virtually the same thing as 「どんな人であるのか」 and both are noun phrases.

Is it simply omitting the の because it's obvious (のかを)→(かを), and if not what's the difference between のか and か in that sentence?

I would not say it is omitting the 「の」 because it is already "complete" without it. This 「の」, if used, helps emphasize the statement. It would be, in a way, analogous to the difference between "what kind of person I am" and "what kind of person I really am".

• Can I ask why/how it becomes noun phrase with か? I understand when it ends with の, こと, もの, etc and nouns, but not here. – Amerain Mar 8 '18 at 1:14
    @Amerain "what it is" "who she is" "where it is located" can all be noun phrases in English, too, right? Likewise, 「それが何(である)か」「彼女が誰か」「それがどこにあるか」 can be noun phrases in Japanese. – Chocolate Mar 8 '18 at 2:06
    @Amerain This is called an embedded question, which is a sort of a noun clause. This を is optional. – naruto Mar 8 '18 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.