How do i say the following (sorry I don't know how to get hiragana on a computer im just going to use romaji)

Ken-san read 100 pages of a book.
Ken-san read a 100 page book (a book that has 100 pages).
Ken-san read a 100 books (100 individiual books).

I'm thinking that it'll go something like Kensan wa hon no hyaku peeji o yomimasu for the first one, with the second one being ken-san wa hyaku peeji no hon o yomimasu, and the third is just kensan wa hyakusatsu (?) hon o yomimasu

Translation requests are off-topic; do you have any guess as to how these might translate, or what research have you done on which counters are used for pages and books?
    – mamster
    Mar 7, 2018 at 1:00
  • Resolving the 'not being able to get hiragana on a computer' issue seems like it should be deserving of greater priority.
    – BJCUAI
    Mar 7, 2018 at 1:08
    oh yea. I'm thinking that it'll go something like Kensan wa hon no hyaku peeji o yomimasu for the first one, with the second one being ken-san wa hyaku peeji no hon o yomimasu, and the third is just kensan wa hyakusatsu (?) hon o yomimasu Mar 7, 2018 at 1:13
  • @AbdullahImad Yes, please add those sentences to your main text so that let people know you're asking a decent question. Mar 7, 2018 at 1:46

2 Answers 2

First of all, you are talking about the sentences in the past tense, so you have to say yomimashita instead of yomimasu.

(1)
(1E) Ken-san read 100 pages of the book.
(1J) Kensan wa hon no hyaku peeji o yomimashita.

Answer for (1):

• (1J-1) ケンさんは本{ほん}の100ページを読{よ}みました。
  • (1J-2) ケンさんは本{ほん}の100ページ目{め}を読{よ}みました。
  • (1E-2) Ken-san read the 100th page of the book.
  • (1J-3) ケンさんは本{ほん}を100ページ読{よ}みました。
  • (1J-4) ケンさんはその本{ほん}を100ページ読{よ}みました。

(1J) could be written as (1J-1) with hiraganas and kanjis.
(1J) is not correct because it sounds like (1J-2) or (1E-2). The correct sentence in Japanese for (1E) is like (1J-3). As "the book" is used in (1E), (1J-4) is better than (1J-3).

(2)
(2E) Ken-san read a 100 page book.
(2J) ken-san wa hyaku peeji no hon o yomimashita.

Answer for (2):

• (2J-1) ケンさんは100ページの本{ほん}を読{よ}みました。

(2J) could be written as (2J-1) with hiraganas and kanjis.
(2J) is correct.

(3)
(3E) Ken-san read a 100 books.
(3J) kensan wa hyakusatsu hon o yomimashita.

Answer for (3):

• (3J-1) ケンさんは100冊{さつ}本を読{よ}みました。
  • (3J-2) ケンさんは本{ほん}を100冊{さつ}読{よ}みました。

(3J) could be written as (3J-1) with hiraganas and kanjis.
(3J) is correct. By the way, I usually say like (3J-2) for (3E).

BONUS for advanced learners

(bonus-e) Ken-san reads a 100 page book.
(bonus-j1) ken-san wa hyaku peeji no hon o yomimasu.
(bonus-j2) ケンさんは100ページの本{ほん}を読{よ}みます。

(bonus-j1) and (bonus-j2) are sentences in the present tense of ones written in (2).

They have different meanings from (bonus-e) as follows.

• (bonus-j3) ケンさんは毎日{まいにち}100ページの本{ほん}を読{よ}みます。 It is Ken-san's custom to read a hundred page book everyday. or Ken-san reads a hundred page book everyday.
  • (bonus-j4) ケンさんはこれから100ページの本{ほん}を読{よ}もうとしています。 Ken-san is going to read a hundred page book.
  • (bonus-j5) ケンさんは100ページの本{ほん}を好{この}んで読{よ}みます。 Ken-san prefers to read a hundred page book. or Ken-san reads only a hundred page book.

The interpretation of (bonus-J5) may sound strange, but syntactically, it is the same as "ケンさんは探偵小説{たんていしょうせつ}を読{よ}みます。 Ken-san prefers to read detective stories" or "ケンさんは旅行雑誌{りょこうざっし}を読{よ}みます。 Ken-san prefers to read travel magazines", so it is not strange.

The first one, "hon no hyaku peeji o yomimasu", means "read page 100 of the book". "Read 100 pages of a book" is "hon o hyaku peeji yomimasu/hyaku peeji hon o yomimasu" (counters with no particle can either precede or follow nouns, and it's generally more natural for the counter to follow than to precede.)

The others are correct. Hyakusatsu doesn't need a particle in this case.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .