I'm trying to understand an exchange:

A: まともに行ってもここを通り抜けるのはキツイがな

B: 見りゃぁわかるぜ

In this case person B starts their sentence with a contraction of the conditional form of 見る, but I'm not sure why. It's my understanding that the verb that precedes the "ば" is the "If [X]", part, so would this sentence just mean "If I can see that, I understand it"? The subtitles translate it as just "I can see that", so I'm just a little confused why the conditional and "wakaruze" are even needed here.

I appreciate any help.

There is nothing wrong, incorrect or unnatural about B's comment 「見{み}りゃぁわかるぜ」. That is just a native speaker speaking Japanese like a native speaker should be.

It is only the literal translation "If I see it, I understand." that is making it look like a strange thing to say.

My own free translations would be:

"You can tell by looking at it."

"It only takes one look."

"Tell me about it!"

"That's for sure!"

"Obviously!"

It gets shorter and shorter.

• Ah alright, thanks. Knowing "You can tell by looking at it" is a valid translation helps me understand the feeling a little better. – boogal Mar 6 '18 at 3:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.