This question already has an answer here:

その地域では今も戦争で日に何人もの人が死んでいる。

I encountered the above sentence. But, if it were me, I would write something like this:

その地域では今も 戦争で(日々or日)に何人も死んでいる。

Is there any difference between the two in terms of meaning? Moreover, is there any other example containing "何XものX" (X could be 人 or other words)?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

marked as duplicate by Chocolate, macraf, Dono, broccoli forest, Community Mar 8 '18 at 5:03

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

何人もの人 means simply many people. It could be tens, hundreds, thousands, or even more. 何人も could probably mean several people, 10 at most. If you would like to describe things rather than people, "いくつもの" (many) and "いくつも" (several) are for you.

I don't think it's 「何人 もの 人」. I think it's 「何人も の 人」 which I think translates literally to "every person."

According to Jisho, 何人も is a noun that translates to "everyone/all/nobody." And, 何人も was brought up in an older post, where a user paraphrased it as だれも, which can also be interpreted as "everyone/no one."

So I think the sentence can be translated to something along the lines of "Here in this war, even now, many people are dying."

I think this answer was most likely downvoted because it contains incorrect information. I don't think it's correct to say that 「何人もの人」 translates to "every person". – snailboat Mar 4 '18 at 17:52
    @Yana According to Jisho, 何人も is a noun that translates to "everyone/all/nobody." <-- その「何人も」は「なんびとも/なんぴとも」(anyone) です。「何人もの人」の「何人」は「なんにん 」(how many people) です。(「なにじん」は what nationality)読み方も意味も違います – Chocolate Mar 5 '18 at 0:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.