I have some sentences that involve the usage of と that I still don't understand:

1. This is from another user's post

私はあなたがいつも忙しい分かっています。

2. My previous question

いつも変えてたまに外で食事しよう。

At the very basic level, this post pretty much sums up what I understand about と. I added a few more usages based on what I learnt so far.

• Quotation or defining particle

e.g. [X]は日本語でなん言いますか?How do you say [X] in Japanese?

e.g. 日本語は難しい思います。(I) think Japanese is difficult.

e.g. 彼は明日来る言った。 He said that he will come tomorrow.

• Conditional particle

e.g. 彼は暇だいつもゲームをしているの。If he is free, he always plays games.

• List of things

e.g. ナイフフォークでステーキを食べた。(I) ate steak with a knife and fork.

• With/Partner of interaction/Accompaniment

e.g. 友達映画に行った。(I) went to watch a movie with my friend.

e.g. 父似ている。(I) resemble my father.

• Objects of similarity/difference

e.g. 私の意見は彼の意見異なる。My opinion is different from everyone.

e.g. いつも同じ電車です。(It) is the same train as usual.

• Sound/Onomatopoeia

e.g. 星がきらきら輝いている。The stars are twinkling.

I understand there are many more uses of と that I did not include in the list and that I may not be aware of.

I have trouble connecting both of the sentences above into one of the listed categories.

But if I had to guess, と under sentence 1 is used as a Quotation or defining particle? Such as the second example 日本語は難しいと思います。

And for sentence 2, I see it used like いつもと同じ電車です under Objects of similarity/difference.

But I'm confused here because 変える is not a "similarity" but a "change from usual". However, I might have a misconception that と is not just used for objects of similarity or differences in this particular case.

Can someone explain how と is used in each of the sentences above? I would appreciate similar examples like ones provided above to help me understand how と is used in these cases, and I'm really thankful to anyone who can help clear up my confusion with this particle.

How is と変えて not expressing a difference? – mamster Mar 4 '18 at 5:37
  • @mamster So far I've only encountered examples that uses と in cases like "A is not the same as B" and that's what I thought "difference" meant e.g. と違う. In this sentence, と変える seemed more like "change from A to B" to me. But maybe definition of "difference" is much broader than what I thought, I would like to know some similar examples. Like can you use と終わる, と始める etc.? – shade549 Mar 4 '18 at 8:19

As for your first sentence, you're right that the と is a quotative particle.
It's often used with a verb that introduces one's utterance or thought, e.g. 言う, 思う, 感じる, 知る, 分かる, 話す, etc.

A few examples:

嫌だと言う
危ないと感じる
やめようと思った
痛い顔をしかめる (「言って」「思って」 etc. are occasionally left out)
これが最後別れを惜しむ
(examples above taken from 明鏡国語辞典)
正しいという結論に達する
(from デジタル大辞泉)

As for your second sentence, you're right again that the と indicates 「比較・類別の際に照合される相手」(明鏡国語辞典) , 「比較の基準」(デジタル大辞泉), or "Object of Similarity/Difference" in your list.
The と is often used with a verb or adjective that expresses difference, change, similarity, identity (sameness), or comparison, e.g. 同じ, 違う, 異なる, 似る, 比べる, etc. and it functions like "(same) as..." "(different/differentiate) from..." "(similar) to..." "(compare) with...". In your example, ~と変える is used to mean "change from...". (~と変える can also mean "change into~~" (≂~に変える) depending on context, and the と here indicates 動作の結果. By the way, ~と[代]{か}える/[替]{か}える can mean "exchange for~~/replace with~~", where the と indicates 動作の対象.)

A few examples:

あなたと同じ考えだ
以前は条件が異なる
父[子]は子[父]と似ている
(examples taken from 明鏡国語辞典)
君の比べものにならない
と違う
(from デジタル大辞泉)

By the way, the example 父と似ている。(I) resemble my father is categorized in With/Partner of interaction/Accompaniment in your list, but I think it should fall under Objects of similarity/difference.

1. 私はあなたがいつも忙しいと分かっています。

Question A:

と under sentence 1 is used as a Quotation or defining particle? Such as the second example 日本語は難しいと思います。

Yes, it is. I'll show you the reason.
日本語は難しいと思います could be rewritten as:
(a)「日本語は難しい」思います。
Sentence 1 could be rewritten as:
(b)「あなたがいつも忙しい」私は分かっています。
と in (a) and (b) has the same function as quotation or defining particle.

1. いつもと変えてたまに外で食事しよう。

Question B:

と is not just used for objects of similarity or differences in this particular case.

と in 2 is not used for objects of similarity or differences.
Why do you have the idea that と in 2 is like that in 私の意見は彼の意見異なる or that in いつも同じ電車です?
There is no such suggestions in the answers here.
I think いつもと(変える) in 2 means "(change) from a usual manner/custom".
Anyway some words are omitted in 2, so the omission might make you confused.
The full text of 2 might be like:
- いつもの習慣{しゅうかん}/やり方{かた} と変えてたまに外で食事しよう。
- いつも家{いえ}で食{た}べるという習慣{しゅうかん} と変えてたまに外で食事しよう。

I've never learned that usage of と to indicate change from a past habit. It doesn't fit into any of the categories I listed above? Are there other verbs that take similar forms and can be used with と to indicate change for example? – shade549 Mar 4 '18 at 12:45
  • @Shade549: >Are there other verbs that take similar forms and can be used with と: いつも(のやり方)と違{たが}えて; いつも(のやり方)と間違{まちが}えて; いつも(のやり方)と異{こと}なって. – mackygoo Mar 4 '18 at 13:04

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.