These are some lyrics to a song:

陽炎ゆらめいて

追憶の彼方に見た

うたかたの夢はぜ

火の粉は大空へ舞う

And this is supposed to be the translation:

After heat haze flickers.

It was seen in the other side of the reminiscence.

Transient dream explosion.

A spark is danced to the sky.

I'm having trouble with the third line, specifically with 「はぜ」. The dictionary translates it as gobby (fish)/wax tree/drying rice on a rack, and obviously none of these make any sense given the context of the song as well as the suggested translation. Outside of these meanings and the song itself, I couldn't find any reference to 「はぜ」 at all. Could it be just a typo, or am I missing something here?

• Is the translation offered your own or someone else's and if so what language was it originally in? – virmaior Mar 3 '18 at 23:50
  • The translation was provided by an anonymous person in the comments to the song, ostensibly a native Japanese speaker. It was originally in English, but they are not fluent. I left the translation as-is in hopes of it making some sense to other native speakers. It's the only translation I could find, and the rest of the song was translated pretty well so I thought it would be a good starting point. – Nikujin Mar 4 '18 at 0:01

It is a verb.

「はぜ」 is the 連用形{れんようけい} (continuative form) of the verb 「はぜる」, which means "to pop", "to burst open", etc.

When corn kernels はぜる, it is called "popcorn".

So, the line means:

"The fleeting dream bursts open (and)"

A similar-sounding synonym of 「はぜる」 is 「はじける」, which you might actually see/hear more often. Both are originally Japanese words as, I hope, you can tell from the sounds.

In case you are more of a fan of big Sino-loanwords, 「破裂{はれつ}する」 would be a synonym as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.