The only 達磨 I'm familiar with is daruma dolls, however I've seen/heard this used in a descriptive sense in anime and novels.

I can recall seeing a character using it in a novel for example, I don't remember the exact Japanese but she was scolding her colleague in a restaurant saying "hurry up and finish the dishes you hairy daruma!" (Her colleague has wild hair and a funny looking goatee.) Or in another book where the author wrote "筋肉達磨になった男" in reference to a man who had become stupidly muscular.

So what sort of meaning is it supposed to take on in contexts like that? Is there some metaphorical meaning?

• In addition to the answer blow, Daruma is a Buddhist practitioner and a representative for those who devote themselves for one thing. You call a shogi player who is heavily attack-oriented 攻めダルマ. – user4092 Mar 4 '18 at 16:11

(I always write 「だるま」 in kana, so that is what I am going to do here, too.)

Used in the contexts described by you, 「だるま」 simply means a "guy" or "person". The metaphorical usage of the term is usually well-intended as the だるま itself is an item of good omen to begin with. A humor factor is generally there as well. All in all, it helps make a fun and animated expression.

When I had a full beard several years ago, I was called ヒゲだるま by a few people around me. It made me smile each time, too. It would not have made me smile if someone had called me ヒゲじじい, for instance, instead.

I assure you, though, that 「〇〇だるま」 is not a phrase pattern you would use on a daily basis. It would easily lose its charm if you overused it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.