With the sentence:

「僕は今度遠い所へ行くから、その前一寸お前に遭いに来たよ。」

"I am leaving now to go to a far away place, so before that I came to meet you for a short time."

Assuming I read that right, then it seems like the is a sentence-ending particle sitting at the end of the 1st clause in this compound sentence ("I am leaving now to go to a far away place").

So that leads me to two questions:

1. Can sentence-ending particles (よ, ね, な, etc) be used at the end of independent clauses in a compound sentence?
  2. If this ね isn't the "seek agreement" particle, then what is it? An interjection?

Can sentence-ending particles (よ, ね, な, etc) be used at the end of independent clauses in a compound sentence?

ね is different from other sentence particles in that it has no restrictions on the forms it can follow. See page 4 of Japanese the Spoken Language Part 2.

If this ね isn't the "seek agreement" particle, then what is it? An interjection?

As mentioned in chapter 10 of Japanese: The Spoken Language Part 1, a sentence is frequently broken up into shorter spans, with ね (often ね?or ね! or even ねぇ) added to the nonfinal sentences. These uses of ね are meant to indicate the speaker's request for あいづち, i.e. a confirmation from the listener that they are paying attention and are involved in the conversation, in the form of at least a firm nod, but often a verbalization like はい or ええ or even a form of そう.

• Can I then assume that the other sentence particles (よ, な, ぞ, etc) cannot be used at the end of independent clauses? And as a side question, can な also be used without restrictions like ね? – Hyperglyph Mar 3 '18 at 19:24
    I had a feeling you'd ask that. In the English sense, an independent clause is a sentence, so naturally, they can be used. However, ね can follow anything, including dependent clauses (as in your example after から) or even single nominals. Other sentence particles normally cannot. When か follows something it actually creates a sentence (possibly a minor one, as in the case with imbedded questions). な is related to ね but I think it belongs only at the end of independent clauses (including following か). さ is a filler word so I think it can follow anything, like ね. Learn it case-by-case. – weirdalsuperfan Mar 4 '18 at 4:17
  • To clarify, here から ends a minor sentence, not a major sentence. Sentence particles generally end major sentences. – weirdalsuperfan Mar 4 '18 at 4:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.