This is from an interview in a magazine

希望を満ち、つねに未来の先の先のさらにその先を見据えて真っ直ぐ進んでいるような人にはとても憧れている

I'm trying to understand this sentence but it's confusing for me especially the part "未来の先の先のさらにその先を見据えて"

What I understand right now is "I admire people who are full of hope and keep moving forward and looking beyond the future ahead." Can anyone please help me understand. Thank you.

希望満ち may be a typo. I think it is 希望満ち or 希望をち. – mackygoo Mar 1 '18 at 4:43

未来の先の先のさらにその先を見据えて

"見据{みす}えて" is a continuous form or 連用形{れんようけい} of "見据える" as you know, so I'll explain (A).

(A) 未来の先の先のさらにその先を見据える

"先{さき}" has various meanings, and it has the meaning with "次 next to", "向こう over" or "超えて beyond" in (A).
Therefore "未来{みらい}の先" means "beyond the future".
"さらに" is written "更に" in kanji and it means "furthermore" or "still more".

(B) 未来を見据える
(C) 未来の先を見据える
(D) 未来の先の先を見据える

(B) means "look ahead" or "look into the future".
When you use (C), (D) and (A) instead of (B), the degree of "furthermore/beyond/ahead" to (B) will be gradually emphasized.
In the above explanation, I think that the degree is difficult to understand as actual feeling, so I would like to explain the nuance of "先の先" in another example.

In a game in which pieces are alternately moved like shogi or chess, to predict the move of a piece of the opponent against your move is called "相手{あいて}の手{て}/指手{さして}を読{よ}む predict the move of the opponent" or "先{さき}を読む lit. read the future/hereafter". Your predicting one move of a piece by the opponent is called "一手{いって}先{さき}を読む lit. read next one hand". Likewise, to predict until the opponent's second move of a piece is called "二手{にて}先を読む lit. read next two hands or "先の先を読む read ahead twice".
You can say like "三手{さんて}先を読む", "先の先の先を読む" or "先の先のさらに先を読む".

I think that you can see the accuracy of prediction increases as the number of 先 increases.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.