Here is the full sentence said by a young boxer to draw his coach out of the boxing ring.

へっぽこセコンドはひっこんでろいっ

If it is imperative form, I would like to know the grammatical difference between this form and 「ひっこめ」

Are you sure せこんど is not written in katakana? – Marco Feb 27 '18 at 2:18
  • Pray tell, do you have a source? – user27280 Feb 27 '18 at 3:31
  • @Marco I'm sorry for my mistake. It is actually written in Katakana. – George Feb 27 '18 at 17:09
  • @user27280 If you mean the manga title regarding to this question, it is あしたのジョー – George Feb 27 '18 at 17:09
  • ひっこむ: "to butt out"
  • (ひっこんで: te-form of above)
  • ひっこんでいる: progressive form of ひっこむ
  • ひっこんでる: casual contraction of above
  • ひっこんでろ: imperative form of above
  • ひっこんでろいっ: This is an uncommon sentence-end particle used to emphasize the sentence. I think this ~ろい(っ) is seen almost exclusively in fiction, and it sounds masculine but a little childish. According to 明鏡国語辞典:

《肯定や命令の文の後に付いて》意味を強める。「早くしろい」「いやだい、ぼくがやるんだい」 【語法】助動詞「だ」「じゃ」などに付いた「だい」「じゃい」、終助詞「か」「わ」「な」に付いた「かい」「わい」「ない」、動詞の命令形に付いた「ろい」などの形で使う。

The difference from ひっこめ mainly comes from the "progressive" part. So it's more like "stay/keep away" rather than just "get away".

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.