what is the dakuten katakana character in the image ?

Seem the image say Xサ?What is the X ? enter image description here

It's グサ, a common onomatopoeia for a sound of "stab". It also describes how someone's harsh word sticks into your heart. It's listed on jisho.org in the form ぐさりと.

It looks like ワ, too, but ワ does not take dakuten, as you know.

Strictly speaking, it's true that ワ does not take dakuten, but I feel it's good to note that in colloquial contexts (especially in Anime/Manga, and particularly in mimetic or SFX words), pretty much any character can take on dakuten in order to give it a "rough"-sounding quality. – Rebecca Nelson Feb 26 '18 at 17:34
  • @RebeccaNelson Yes that's covered in another question, but ワ゛ is extremely rare and ワ゛サ makes no sense to me anyway. (I know there is わさわさ) – naruto Feb 26 '18 at 18:00
  • Agreed, in this particular case it is very clearly a styled "ク". – Rebecca Nelson Feb 26 '18 at 19:02
  • ya know, some fonts are really difficult to decipher sometimes. I ran into a font with a chacter that looked like a mirror image TO, but come to find out is was squished U used to lengthen the vowel sound. – Escoce Feb 27 '18 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.