As background, I haven't really focused on learning kanji. I've mainly focused on learning words, and just using the correct characters for those words (purely typing, I don't write kanji by hand). However, I want to be a little more proficient with kanji, by learning a kanji and its reading whenever I encounter a new kanji or a new reading, by learning at least one other example of that kanji with the same reading.

I can look up a kanji with jisho.org, and find examples of a given reading by clicking on a reading. For example, if I'm interested in from the word "結婚相談所" and the on-yomi "ソウ", I can can click on "ソウ" and it takes me to 相 そう. However, while jisho.org mentions which words are "common", I'm worried that some words given might be words I should avoid at my stage of learning, because they're less common than other words with a similar meaning.

Are there any resources (preferably online) that I can use to look up a kanji and its reading and get well curated examples of that reading being used?

Kanjicards has online (and printable) lists sorted by grade level, JLPT level or frequency of use. The lists include both types of readings, example words and stroke order:
http://kanjicards.org/kanji-lists.html

Your rep's quite a bit ahead of mine, so you might be looking for something more advanced... but I've found that those lists are useful for familiarizing myself with the kanji (although I remember the readings best by just... reading.)

• The resource looks interesting, but the page kanji cards gives the warnings "The selection of example words might not the optimum for [studying] purposes" and "Rarely used readings might be included". – Andrew Grimm Mar 3 '18 at 6:16
    The example words are aren't curated by frequency of use, but they DO show most or all of the ways a kanji can be read (including the unusual readings). It's more a kanji learning resource than a word learning resource, which may or may not be what you're looking for. With that said, I do believe the readings themselves are listed from most common to least common. At least, it sure seems that way. – Hyperglyph Mar 3 '18 at 6:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.