I was reading a manga and I was wondering if I understood, at least the first sentence well. The other two...hmmm, I don't know if I translated them so well, so I would need some assistance. If it helps, the context is about money and friendship.

「この世の悩みのほとんどすべてはお金で解決できる」

This is the first sentence and I translated it as: The problems of this world (or rather society), most of them can be solved with money." (Have I gotten the gist of it?)

「お金で築ける友情がある」
「お金がないから築けない友情がある」

It's with these two sentences that I have problem to translate. 築く, looking in the dictionary, it means "to build, to construct, to amass", and I think the sentences are saying something about making friends with money?

Please, can someone clarify them for me? Thank you

Your understanding of the first sentence is correct.

お金で築ける友情がある。お金がないから築けない友情がある。
There is a friendship you can build with money. There is a friendship you cannot build because you don't have money.

Both sentences say 友情がある ("There is a friendship (of such and such a kind)"). お金で築ける and お金がないから築けない are relative clauses that modify 友情. 友情を築く is a set phrase, "to build/establish a friendship."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.