Hi what's the difference between these three forms?. I have made some research but they all seem to mean "As if". In the specific, とばかりに appears to mean "As to say", (と言わ)んばかりに "As he/she wanted to say" and かのごとく "As if". Can you explain me how to use them correctly?

• It might help if you further reveal the findings of your research and provide some example sentences. – BJCUAI Feb 24 '18 at 19:24
  • What's the difference among とばかりに, とばかりにand かのごとく? ... these three forms <-- 3 formsですか?「とばかりに」と「かのごとく」の2 forms に見えますが。。? – Chocolate Feb 25 '18 at 4:47
  • Sorry, I wrote two times とばかりに、but I corrected it 😅 – Alex16 Feb 25 '18 at 6:21

You have almost answered your question already. とばかりに follows someone's statement, feeling, etc., because this と is a quotative particle. It means "as if to say."

• やれやれとばかりに振り返った。
  • よく聞いてくれたとばかりに話し始めた。
  • 信じられないとばかりに目を見開いた。
  • そのことを当然(だ)とばかりに受け入れていた。

You can even use brackets with とばかりに:

「信じられない」とばかりに目を見開いた。

(まるで)~かのごとく is just "as if":

• バネに弾かれたかのごとく立ち上がった。
  • 体が鉛でできているかのごとく重い。
  • そのことを当然であるかのごとく受け入れていた。
  • Sorry could you also insert some examples of んばかりに? I edited the post because originally I have written two times にばかりに, instead of んばかりに. 🙏 – Alex16 Feb 25 '18 at 6:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.