The following is an excerpt from a dialogue between me and my language partner. For full context, I attach the full block about the topic "Your name (anime)" we were talking about at that point:

「君の名は」は、DVDを買って、家で観ました。海外での「ジブリアニメ」の定義はよくわかりませんが、日本で「ジブリ映画」というと、スタジオジブリが製作したアニメ映画のことで、その数はそれほど多くはありません。 http://nendai-ryuukou.com/article/030.html

でも「君の名は」は日本でもとても評判がよく、私もよくできていると思いました。ratwimps の歌を効果的に使い、テンポよく進んでいくのが良かったですね。 アンドレアスさんは字幕で観たのですか。私は、この映画では日本語の特性がよく表れていると思いました。男の子の一人称は「オレ」、女の子を呼ぶときの二人称は「おまえ」ですが、女の子の一人称は「私」、男の子を呼ぶときの二人称は「あなた」です。入れ替わっているとき、もちろん声や仕草でも区別がつきますが、どの人称を使うかでもすぐにわかるのです。画面に顔が映っていないときも同じです。 外見が女の子でも、「オレ・・・」とつぶやいたら、中身は男の子ですよね。 人称について話すと長くなるので、ここでやめておきます。

The sentence in question: (Here she responded to my personal experience with the anime "your name", because I told her that I first thought it was a ghibli anime due to the high quality of the animation.) でも「君の名は」は日本でもとても評判がよく、私もよくできていると思いました。

My attempt at translation: "But I think that 'your name' having much fame also in japan, I also can good."

So, what poses the biggest problem for me is that in the part 日本でもとても評判がよく、私もよくできている there is a lack of verbs. I assumed that a て形-copula can be extrapolated in とても評判がよく, but I was absolutely clueless what to make of 私もよくできている. "Can do" for できる doesnt make much sense here, but "to appear" "to be ready" etc. also dont work well. Also, I think that "I" (meanig herself) is the subject to できる here, but in this context, where we were talking about the movie, I dont understand how she shall play a part in this.

• What is so weird about saying "I think the film is ~~~."? – l'électeur Feb 24 '18 at 12:45
  • Nothing, but the main issue lies with the part after that. – Narktor Feb 24 '18 at 13:22

The verb できる has many meanings, one of which is "to be made, to be built" (#3 on Jisho). よくできている means "well-made."

私もよくできていると思いました。

"I, too, thought it was well-made."

For common verbs with many meanings (hello, かける!), even if you use the verb all the time, I recommend you look it up and walk through the definitions; often you'll come across one that is obvious in context.

Finally 評判が良く doesn't mean "lots of fame," it means "has a good reputation." You'll see the word 評判 often in the phrase 評判通り, which means "as per its reputation..."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.