I've noticed that Japanese names are often made up of different words meaning different things, creating a combination of the meaning of the Japanese name.

Is it possible if I could combine two words, himitsu 秘密 (secret) and sora 空 (sky), into one name? I'm trying to create a name meaning both "secret" and "sky"

Is it possible if I could combine two words, himitsu 秘密 (secret) and sora 空 (sky), into one name?

Yes, it is. In this case, I would make up a name with 秘空{ひくう}.
Usually we use two kanjis, not three, to make up a name, so 秘空 is better than 秘密空.
And 秘 itself means 秘密, so you can use 秘 instead of 秘密 safely in 秘空.

BONUS

As you know, 空 has two meanings: (1) sky; (2) empty/vacant, so I recommend that you would choose 天 instead of 空 for the meaning of sky. Now you would get the name as 秘天{ひてん}. I think it's a wonderful name having the meaning with secret and sky. By the way, 天 has two meanings: (1) sky; (2) heaven.

• 飛天にすると、ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – virmaior Feb 23 '18 at 15:47
    @virmaior これですか?→ ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/飛天御剣流 – Chocolate Feb 24 '18 at 1:11
    First thing that came to mind was 密空【みつあき】, but as you said, that's the wrong reading for 空... Maybe 空密【そらみ】 is a reasonable (female) name? – Earthliŋ Feb 24 '18 at 11:40
  • @Earthling: 質問者が何の名前を尋ねているのか分かりません。もし、人の名前あるいは女性の名前を尋ねているのであれば、空密{そらみ}は、秘天{ひてん}より響き(=発音したときの感じ)が良いので優れた名前だと思います。 – mackygoo Feb 25 '18 at 4:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.