In my vocabulary learning I've recently come across the pattern of 社内、車内、体内 and was wondering... can I apply this pattern of [something]内 to many other things?

For example, if I wanted to say "in the station" could I say 駅内?

How about "in the team", would it be valid to say "チーム内" or is it just for places you can physically enter?

It's a hard one to Google because of how they just break it down to ない。

We also have 国内、県内、都内、府内、市内、区内、町内、室内、場内、会場内、構内、船内、電車内、列車内、機内、空港内、店内、邸内、党内、部内、組織内、屋内、庫内、館内、学内、大学内、城内、圏内、胎内、区域内、管内、範囲内、~地内、~域内、~構内、~場内, etc... – Chocolate Feb 22 '18 at 6:33
  • Thanks @Chocolate. Partially related, extremely useful and much appreciated. And thanks for the list of other examples. The fun never ends! – Leonard Feb 23 '18 at 12:10
  • 駅{えき} ⇒ (No) 駅内 ⇒ (Yes) 駅{えき}構内{こうない} station premises, station yard, (Yes) 駅[中]{なか}
    駅弁{えきべん}は、「駅構内で販売{はんばい}される弁当{べんとう}」を意味{いみ}する。Ekiben means "a box lunch sold within station premises".
    駅中 is a newly coined word, which is a common name for commercial space developed in railway stations located under jurisdiction by Japanese railway operators, and it is explained here. It is written as 駅ナカ, エキナカ or 駅中 etc.
  • チーム ⇒ (Yes) チーム[内]{ない}
  • 仲間{なかま} members of one's group ⇒ (Yes) 仲間[内]{うち}
    仲間内の約束{やくそく}ごと conventions of the buddy
  • 学校{がっこう} ⇒ (?) 学校内 ⇒ (Yes) 校内{こうない}, (Yes) 学校[中]{じゅう}
    校内[放送]{ほうそう} school public address system; broadcasts aired within the school
    彼{かれ}は学校/学校中で一番{いちばん}背{せ}が高{たか}い。 He is the tallest student in my school.
  • 家庭{かてい} family ⇒ (Yes) 家庭[内]{ない}
    家庭内[暴力]{ぼうりょく} domestic violence
  • 病院{びょういん} hospital ⇒ (Yes) 病院[内]{ない}, (Yes) 院内{いんない}, (Yes) 病院[中]{じゅう}, (No) 院中
    病院内/院内では静粛{せいしゅく}にお願{ねが}いします。 Please be quiet in the hospital!
    院内[感染]{かんせん} healthcare-acquired infection [HAI]; nosocomial infection
    A先生{せんせい}が看護婦{かんごふ}のBさんを好{す}きなのは病院中の誰{だれ}もが知{し}っている。 Everyone knows that doctor A is into nurse B in the hospital.
    あの火事{かじ}では、あっという間{ま}に煙{けむり}が病院中に広{ひろ}がった。 At that fire, smoke quickly spread within the building of the hospital.
  • Thanks for that. So it looks as though, like with much in Japanese, there isn't a definite set logic to follow and things generally better to learn these instances on an individual basis. – Leonard Feb 21 '18 at 7:59
  • If anything I'd assume the converse -- If a compound word contains the Kanji 内 it likely has to do with something within something else, but not necessarily all expressions that have to do with something within something else will use the Kanji 内 (some may use the Kanji 中 or something else). – psosuna Feb 22 '18 at 1:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.